So we were at the ball field, and out of nowhere, as if fate had predicted, one of the parents walked up with a sweet 8 week old puppy who had been venturing out on Lebanon Road. She said she couldn't take him home because she had a 200 pound Mastiff. The dog was very calm and smelled like strawberry shampoo, so we decided to take her home to "babysit" for the weekend. I named her Bristol, because I thought it was a good name and it fit her.
After one night, let me say puppy= baby, except you can't put a baby in a crate and leave! She was such good dog; she didn't jump, bark, wasn't hyper, and they said she was a nice breed. In fact most people said that she was the calmest puppy, they'd ever seen. She still required a lot of work with potty training, giving her attention, and other things, and did I say potty training? I tried to make sure she smelled nice, but the "dog" smell kept coming back. Also, the tracking in of mud, wasn't fun to deal with, and getting up at night to let her out was enough to make me rethink wanting to have another baby. So let's just say that this sweet, lovable, ball of fur turned out to be a THORN IN MY SIDE! I HAD TO GET RID OF HER! (insert panic attack here!)
The kids unfortunately inherited my lack of love dogs, so it wasn't hard to convince them to get rid of her. She was definitely "old" news after oh about two days! The only one to convince was the hubby. It was difficult, but after convincing him that I was going to be the one taking care of her and the fact that I already had two "dogs" to care for as well as other responsibilities that I can barely keep up with, he conceded.
We found a family for her, and let me say after I returned home , I felt like Mel Gipson in Braveheart...FREEDOM! I thought in my head! So I guess the "babysitting" stint was a good trial run. A dog is definitely not for us, and why you would want one, I don't understand now, but maybe later?? I am just glad we didn't pay hundreds of dollars to figure out all of that!


No comments:
Post a Comment